Image courtesy of Kendall
A trip to Jamaica is incomplete without a visit to Dunn’s River Falls. It boasts of being the best waterfall in Jamaica, and it’s quite obvious why. The fact that it is one of the few waterfalls that swiftly flows directly into the Sea, and that you can climb it, characterizes Dunn’s River Falls of being the only one of its kind, in the world.
The natural wonder is constantly changing and rebuilding on its own. Every crevice, rock, and boulder is shifted and shaped according to the flow of water. The falls regenerates itself from calcium carbonate which precipitates from the river. The flowing falls expands to 600 feet, taking approximately 45 minutes to 1 hour to climb and reach the top.
I assure you that if you visit Dunn’s River Falls, it will be an adventure like you’ve never experienced before. I mean, where else can you actually climb a water fall?!
Dunn’s River Falls is located in Ochos Rios, Jamaica. Even if you are not staying in Ochos Rios, I urge you to make the trip. Trust me, you won’t be disappointed!
Tips For Your Visit
- Water shoes is required. No bare feet. No Flip Flops (water shoes are available for purchase or rent at the front desk, but I suggest purchasing your own beforehand)
- Invest in a water proof camera OR buy a waterproof phone case with a lanyard that you can hang around your neck (must have a lanyard!)
- Any valuables (cash, credit cards, etc.) should be stored in their rental lockers OR in a waterproof case
- Make sure you are physically capable of climbing the falls; slipping and falling is a common occurrence
- It takes about an hour to climb, so make sure you saved time for it
- Do not bother wearing sunglasses during your climb. Its location is heavily shaded, and your expensive shades could fall into the cascading water, and get lost down the falls
- Go as early as you can if you want to get nice photos. We happened to arrive quite late due to traffic on the road, and consequently hundreds of others had beat us there
To climb, a human chain link is formed to support one another (this is why I advised to have a lanyard. With your hands full, where will you put your phone/camera?!) And the rule is; if one falls, we leave them behind and continue climbing! Hahaha, totally kidding! Obviously, we help others who have fallen.
A tour guide will be with you during the entire climb, directing you towards which rocks and boulders to step on, for a breezy climb. He/she will also stop at lagoons and pool areas to take photos and for extra swimming!
Don’t want to climb? That’s fine too! There is a viewing deck for those who decide against climbing.
There are plentiful souvenir and snack shops for you to purchase afterwards!
Where To Book
One website you can book this tour is through Viator.
The tour includes a hotel pick up, drop off, and a local tour guide.
Random Fun Facts
- James Bond Dr. No movie was filmed at the famous Dunn’s River Falls
- A scene from Tom Cruise’s Cocktail movie was filmed at the Falls
- America’s Next Top Model used the falls as a photoshoot site
Dunn’s River Falls is a waterfall like no other. You should not go to Jamaica without climbing the falls, you really should not miss out on this experience. I would do it all again if I could!